Still Active?

Topics: Developer Forum
Developer
Feb 26, 2007 at 9:40 AM
Are people still working on the XPA project? It seems that no code has been committed in over two months.

How do I become a developer and where can I help out (I don't really know anything about Bullet at present time)?

Best regards,
Per Rasmussen.

P.s. I really think this is a great initiative! The XNA community seems to be in great need of a physics engine.
Coordinator
Feb 26, 2007 at 11:41 AM
there's some problems with time as in many open source projects... each member have job or school/college and needs to have some free time too :) I'm currently finishing my game for DBP Warm Up and then will have some time to work with XPA...
I can add you as a developer if you want... currently we need to debug and fix bugs in Bullet code so we can add it as a layer for XPA.
Developer
Feb 26, 2007 at 4:07 PM

KleMiX wrote:
there's some problems with time as in many open source projects... each member have job or school/college and needs to have some free time too :)

Yeah, I know what you mean. I also wish I had more time for these things.

I can add you as a developer if you want... currently we need to debug and fix bugs in Bullet code so we can add it as a layer for XPA.

Sure, but frankly I have know idea where to begin with debugging of Bullet. Do you have some sort of Developer's guide to me up and running?

Perhaps it would be better if I did something completely different. How about if I started to make a Newton (NDE) layer for XPA? From what I understand the ODE layer is rather poor. It doesn't even have static trimeshes working. BTW, why is that? I was under the impression that it was only dynamic trimeshes that didn't work in ODE.
Coordinator
Feb 26, 2007 at 7:31 PM

perrs wrote:

Sure, but frankly I have know idea where to begin with debugging of Bullet. Do you have some sort of Developer's guide to me up and running?

OK, you're now developer :) There's no Developer's guide :) all documentation is still in development, and the main part is User documentation... developer documentation will be added after that.

perrs wrote:
Perhaps it would be better if I did something completely different. How about if I started to make a Newton (NDE) layer for XPA? From what I understand the ODE layer is rather poor. It doesn't even have static trimeshes working. BTW, why is that? I was under the impression that it was only dynamic trimeshes that didn't work in ODE.

Yes, it might be a good idea, but not Newton but PhysX... it would be better to support PPU on PC :)
Developer
Feb 26, 2007 at 8:11 PM
Hmmm, Building a PhysX layer might not be such a bad idea. Even though PhysX is a little expensive for commercial use IMO. The prizing pretty much rules out indie games. Then again, if you guys are making a layer for Bullet which is open, then I guess we'll have something for everybody. :D

Can you give me a couple of quick pointers to how I get started making a PhysX layer? Am I supposed to subclass the classes in XnaDevRu.Physics with a PhysX version, or what?
Coordinator
Feb 27, 2007 at 3:50 PM
You can look how it's done in XnaDevRu.Physics.Ode, there's OdeJoint, OdeSimulator, OdeSolid and OdeSpace classes which are inherited from Joint, Simulator, Solid and Space :) Other classes in that project are just a Helper classes and a wrapper of Ode...
Head over to http://www.zelsnack.com/jason/JttZ/Novodex_NET_Wrapper/ to get PhysX wrapper for C#.
Use Ode layer as a reference :)
Developer
Feb 27, 2007 at 4:40 PM
Hmmm, I'm not too keen on using that wrapper as it doesn't allow use in commercial products.

Perhaps I'll just use it as inspiration to build my own from the ground up. It does, unfortunately, seem like a pretty big task, but hopefully not unmanagable.

One more question, though. How do I commit code to this project? Do I need VS Team System? (I'm completely new to codeplex)
Coordinator
Feb 27, 2007 at 7:21 PM
Oh, I didn't read license of that wrapper... If you want to write your own wrapper you could wrap only those functions that you will be using (no soft bodies for example)... There was some wrapper in our repository (in XnaDev.Physics.NovodeX I think) but I'm not sure what kind of wrapper is it...
Yes, you will need Visual Studio Team System and Team Explorer for it, then you will be able to connect to Codeplex.