Noob Question?

Topics: User Forum
Dec 12, 2006 at 4:36 AM
I downloaded your XNA Physics API 0.1 Alpha (Binaries) and I have MS C# Studio 2005 Express and XNA Final 1.0 (December 11th release). I extracted the zip and tried to run Physics.test.exe and it crashes and seems like it's missing a DLL (dllnotfoundexception).

I also tried messing around with the source distro, but had no luck (missing ODE.dll?)

I looked for an install doc or anything to get me started but I'm stuck :(

Any help is appreciated and keep up the good work!
Thanks!
Eric
Coordinator
Dec 12, 2006 at 10:40 AM
Runs great for me...can't imagine what dll can be missed...
Can you build the source? If you download the source from release tab you will need to manually change References to XNA...
Dec 12, 2006 at 3:29 PM
I tried it on another xp (sp2) machine:
1) installed ms c# express 2005
2) installed newest version of XNA
3) downloaded and extracted newest XPA source to C:\XnaDev.Physics
4) dbl-clicked C:\XnaDev.Physics\XnaDev.Physics.sln and got an error:
"The Project file XnaDev.Physics cannot be opened" -- "The project file was saved with an incompatible version of XNA Game Studio Express or the project file has become corrupted"

clicking ok to the error and another error of the same type pops up, but this time it's XnaDev.Physics.Ode. Same for XnaDev.Physics.Test.

After the three errors, the three projects are listed as "unavailable" under the XnaDev.Physics Solution in c#.

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks,
Eric
Coordinator
Dec 12, 2006 at 5:40 PM
Oh, sorry, if you downloaded source from release tab there's projects from Beta 1 of XNA... I'll update them tomorrow...
You can try to search what dll's are needed for ode.dll...
Coordinator
Dec 13, 2006 at 6:10 PM
OK, now you can try with new source
Dec 21, 2006 at 1:33 PM
I'm having a similar issue. I downloaded the source files and loaded them into MS Visual C# 2005 Express, but when I try to run XNATestGame.cs I get a runtime error about a missing ode.dll(DLLNotFoundException). I can see that it's in the project and I've tried a bunch of things to get the debug environment to recognize that the dll is there, but with no luck. Granted, I'm primarily a Java developer who's pretty unfamiliar with Microsoft tools (haven't used any since VB6 five years ago), so this could be something really simple.

Any help will be appreciated. I'm really interested in the approach that Microsoft is taking with this whole XNA thing, and I'm eager to start playing around with physics. Thanks in advance!
Coordinator
Dec 22, 2006 at 8:53 AM
If ode.dll is in bin directory with Physics.test.exe then try to find Visual C++ 8 Runtime Libraries on microsoft.com, hope this helps...
Dec 22, 2006 at 3:09 PM
Thanks for the swift reply! I'm at work now, but I'll give that a shot when I get home. Thanks again!
Dec 31, 2006 at 6:56 AM
Hello to all,

First of all let me say that XPA is a very big breakthrough, congratulations! keep the hard work!

I use ODE 0.5 in C++ with visual studio 2003, I am not a pro, I am a beginner, but it works fine. That is why I am saying that XPA is a mayor breakthrough, because it will allow us to "modernize" our programming, hehehe.

Ok, to the point.

I get the exact same error with the ode.dll.

"Unable to load DLL 'ode.dll': (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800736B1)".

I have .NET framework 3 (which is .NET 2 plus some additions), visual c# 2005 express edition (otherwise supposedly you can't use XNA), the December 2006 DirectX SDK and the XNA Game Studio Express 1.0 (the december 11th release).

It seems that the problem is not on the presence or abscence of the file ODE.dll, because the file is there (in the \bin folder) and I have added to my project as an element, not as a reference, beacuse VC# won't allow me to add it as a reference.

The error says that the application couldn't be started because the configuration is incorrect.

So, do I have to do something with ODE prior to running the XnaDevRu.Physics.Demo?

Thanks
Dec 31, 2006 at 7:23 AM
The ode.dll that ships with XPA doesn't seem to like some machines (same program, same dll didn't work on one of my machines but did on the other), I found a different ode.dll on the net (can't exactly remember where but I think it was here http://www.skinhat.com/ode.zip ) that worked on both.

Obviously be careful with that version, I have no idea whats different about it... but it did solve my "Incorrect Configuration problem"

Deano
Dec 31, 2006 at 4:14 PM
Thanks Deano,

I have downloaded the ode.dll you pointed me to, and I am rebuilding the demo.

I will tell you if it worked.
Dec 31, 2006 at 4:48 PM
Ok, so I downloaded the ode.dll version from skinhat and replaced it on the project, but now I get another exception:

Could not find a Direct3D device that has a Direct3D9-level driver and supports pixel shader 1.1 or greater.

I have been looking for it on the net because although my video card is no a very good one (on-board intel chipset) it is supposedly compatible with direct3d9 and has model shader 2.0 or more, so I got to this page:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=906162&SiteID=1

and the discuss getting the same error but when they reinstalled the october 2006 DirectX SDK the problem was gone...

hmmm...

It's not the first compatibility problem I get with the "new" releases of the XNA, DirectX and .NET framework...

Any other options? or do I have to downgrade?
Jan 2, 2007 at 1:24 PM
It took a bit to get back to because of the holidays, but the solution for me was to install Visual Studio 2005. There must be some dll way down in there that is required by the ode.dll that's bundled with the demo. Sure I just installed about 2G of software for the couple of Kb I probably need, but at least I can start playing around now. Viva overkill!
Coordinator
Jan 2, 2007 at 6:17 PM
If you have Intel 915G you may read this:
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1067271&SiteID=1

maybe this will solve problem with graphics device...