Alpha performance

Topics: Developer Forum
Developer
Jun 7, 2007 at 2:38 PM
The BulletX demos in the alpha release seem to be much slower than the most recent source control version - I'm getting 60fps in the CCD demo after all bodies come to rest, but as soon as I disturb the stacks by shooting cubes it drops down to ~10fps. I can't get it to drop much below 10fps by shooting more blocks, however.

My setup:
HP dv9000 laptop, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2gb ram, 256mb GeForce 7300 video card
Coordinator
Jun 8, 2007 at 5:56 AM
Really perfomance has increased by 6-8 fps. Maybe you have this drop because of your videocard haven't worked in full acceleration? And I added per-pixel lighting instead of per-vertex...
I have 20 fps on my laptop HP dv6000, Intel Core Duo, 1gb ram, 256mb GeForce 7400 video card
Developer
Jun 8, 2007 at 2:40 PM
I tried fiddling with PreferPerPixelLighting and the BasicEffect that was being used but I couldn't change the frame rate much - It did get slightly better w/o per pixel lighting. I'll play with it some more and see if I can't figure out where the cycles are going to.

I have Vista and also checked that I wasn't in Power Saver mode - My CPU runs at 20% speed when it's in that mode which can be quite confusing sometimes. It seems to be related to some CPU time because bodies at rest (or when most are at rest) seem to work pretty good.